Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Break on through....

On Thursday night, Dr. Michelle Seelig, who teaches web production at the University of Miami, taught our class how to make a simple website. I didn't think it was so simple as I sat at my computer and fumbled to start my own web bio. After just a few minutes, however, I began to breakthrough all the tech jargon and discovered that it wasn't as difficult as I was making it out to be. Also, the benefits of having your own web site greatly outweigh the few hours it takes to lay out the page.

When applying for a job, especially in journalism, it is very impressive to be able to tell an employer that you have a website, and even more so if you can claim to have created the site on your own. With links to my resume and all my published articles, a slide show that gives a look into my professional ambitions, and a video bio that allows employers to see a more personal look at who I am, a web page will definitely give me a leg up on the competition.

The final reason a web page is so important is because in the world of new media, it is important to employers that applicants be able to publish on the Internet, as well as gather video, audio, and photographic elements for stories. Being able to prove this before I even go into an interview could prove to be the ultimate difference between getting a job or not.

No comments: