Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The times, they are a-changing...

I never truly understood how quickly Google was taking over the Internet...until today. Not only are they taking over the Internet (and soon the world), but they are also making things so much easier. I recently changed my e-mail address from Comcast to Gmail. I don't want to sound like an advertisement for them, but if you haven't done so already, you may want to check out what they have to offer.

The best feature, iGoogle, is a personal homepage each user can design with their mail, RSS feeds, weather alerts, and thousands of other "gadgets" that make your homepage a mobile base for all your information needs. Browsing ESPN.com for breaking sports stories is no longer necessary. Google updates me constantly on my home page. It truly is great.

My main reason for changing accounts was that my old screen name of swooshmm no longer fitting for a 21-year-old who is about to enter the job market (m.mullin3 works a lot better). I was planning on this being a difficult transition because so much of my contact information is linked to that address. I receive all my mail sent to my University of Miami address through that name, and also access that name through my phone.

The transition was flawless. I was able to have Google forward all e-mail sent to my Comcast address (including all sent to my school address) by changing the settings to include my swooshmm account in just a few seconds. Done. Fixed. Problem solved. I no longer have to delete old messages. I can just simply archive them and search through them whenever I need. And did I mention that my old emails were taking up 75% of my allotted space on Comcast, but are only using .1% of the incredible 6630 MB of space in my GMail account?

No comments: