Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Woke up this mornin'...

Recently, while watching an NBA basketball game, I began to think about how some players made it to the professional level. Not all these athletes could have been born with such ability. Most of them worked exceptionally hard, focusing on basketball, and working hard to perfect it. I then thought about my future as a journalist and realized that new media is forcing journalists to become multifaceted, and be professionals is several aspects, like a Deion Sanders or Bo Jackson. Will this eventually lead to a decline in the quality of writing? If print journalists are forced to spend more of their time learning other skills, and less time perfecting the writing/reporting aspect of their job, won't something have to suffer?

On a related note, the announcement that Brett Favre plans on retiring made me again think about new media, as I was awoken this morning by a text message from ESPN telling me of his intentions. This is just another example of how the media is trying to go out and find readers by making news even more accessible. The fact that I didn't have to any more than roll over in bed and pick up my phone to find out what today's top sport's story was, just shows how connected Americans are to the new media right now. So with Americans being this in touch with the news, shouldn't journalists be groomed to do the best reporting they can, rather than be a jack of all trades? The readers may think so, but news editors seem to disagree.

No comments: